Weejee Media  ››  The Web Ahead  ››  Hide Friends On Facebook, 2011
the web ahead .  com

a social media blog

Hide Friends On Facebook, 2011

by Ian Huckabee on August 12, 2010

UPDATED, 22 September 2011

Okay, your ex just friended you on Facebook. Or your boss. Or your friend whose political views stream forth as constantly as the water from that broken fire hydrant when you were a kid. Oh brother.

How can you be nice about it? Hide them!

Facebook knows you’ll have friends like these, so they’ve given you a way to tune them out.

HOW TO HIDE FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK

1. Go to your Facebook homepage.

2. In your news feed, find the post by the offending friend.

3. Place your cursor over your friend’s post, and drop down arrow appears in the upper right corner of the post.

4. Click that arrow!

A drop down menu appears:

Here you’re given more opportunities than before.

5. Click “Hide story.”

Once you’ve done this, the story will be hidden from your news feed and you’ll be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from your friend (her posts will no longer appear in your news feed – this is like hiding her) or you can unfriend her.

6. OPTION: Instead of clicking “Hide story” in no. 5 above, click “Unsubscribe from status updates by [friend's name].”

Your friend’s updates will no longer appear in your news feed

7. ANOTHER OPTION: click “Unsubscribe from [friend's name].”

Your friend’s stories, or posts, won’t appear in your news feed, and you’ll be given the option to unfriend them.

“But wait! I’ve change my mind!”

HOW TO UN-HIDE FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK

So let’s say your friend has learned a little Facebook etiquette and no longer posts updates like an automated bot. It’s easy to un-hide them.

1. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Since Facebook loads more post when you reach the bottom of your page, you’ll need to scroll again until you see this:

Facebook Hide Friends

2. Click “Edit Options.”

This window will appear with the list of names of the friends you’ve hidden:

Click the “x” next to the name of your reacquainted friend and, poof, they’ll no longer be hidden from your news feed.

While you’re here, check out this option:

You can change what you see on your news feed. This is where you determine if you’ll see posts and updates by the friends and pages you interact with the most or by all of your friends and pages.

3. Click “Save.”

Enjoy the friendship!

For more tips, check out “How To Facebook 2011.” Click here.

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

Frustrated by FB August 17, 2010 at 5:16 am

Ok, I have looked around, and most of the stuff on the Google is outdated, this one is a Godsend, I finally get to stop the witless banter of people I don’t even like that much.
Thank you sir, and you win 1000 internets.

Anthony Rueda August 18, 2010 at 6:56 pm

This is incredible information. I just started a Facebook account for business purposes and have been too afraid to add any friends because I’m very protective of my business image. Thanks for the tips.

Mary September 2, 2010 at 8:25 am

Hi Ian, hope you are well.
Great Facebook goody. Thanks, it will go to good use.
weejee rocks!

Lisa Brown September 14, 2010 at 7:26 am

The best advice ever. I have eased so many people’s pain with “Just hit Hide. Hide. It’s simple.” Ohhhhh! They say in great relief. Yes, I love to know where you are, but I don’t want to hear you every day. (And who hides ME?! I wish I knew!) Oh well…

K October 6, 2010 at 9:36 am

Excellent! Why does Facebook ‘hide’ that EDIT so far on the bottom right? I would never have looked there… Finally, some ‘peace and quiet’ on my Facebook pages. Thank you.

Jenna June 23, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Thank goodness! I used to cringe every time I had to scroll past my Ex’s status updates. Now I can relax :).

Jason September 4, 2011 at 11:11 pm

It doesn’t work anymore! Al I get when I click the “x” is 1) Hide this post or 2) Report post or spam. It won’t let me hide anyone anymore . WTF?

Ian Huckabee September 6, 2011 at 10:38 am

They’ve changed it up on us a little, but we can still hide our friends. I’ve updated this post.

rob September 5, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I see this was just updated last month but looks like the hide from a specific friend is no longer an option. Is this true or is there a work around?

Ian Huckabee September 6, 2011 at 9:56 am

They’ve changed things on us a little, but we can still hide our friends. I’ve updated this post with the new method for hiding friends on Facebook. As of this comment, Facebook’s Privacy FAQ still instructs us with the old method. Thanks for pointing this out.

Denise September 6, 2011 at 10:12 am

This is no longer available…what the heck is going on!

Ian Huckabee September 6, 2011 at 10:53 am

They’ve changed how to hide friends in the last few days. I’ve updated this post with the new method.

Denise September 6, 2011 at 11:10 am

Thank you for the update.

SK September 10, 2011 at 2:59 am

Hi,

One question: Will that friend know that I have hidden his posts forever?
Also, will he know if I unfriend him?

Regards

Ian Huckabee September 10, 2011 at 11:46 pm

The only way he’ll know if you’ve hidden his posts is if you stammer a little when he sees you out somewhere or calls you on the phone and says, “Hey, did you see my crazy post?! Everyone’s talking about it!” As for unfriending him, if he tries to send you a message or looks for you on Facebook and can’t find you, he’ll know. Otherwise, he won’t.

SK September 12, 2011 at 7:44 am

Thanks. You mean that he can’t know via facebook or any email notifications by facebook. Very well. That answers my question.
I was a little worried when I posted a comment on somebody’s wall and then I deleted that comment because I had second thoughts. That person commented back asking why I deleted my comment and he then posted my deleted comment. I had no idea that facebook sends an email notifications about deleted comments. It was a little embarrassing and I do blame facebook for this goof up.
That is the reason I asked this question. Thanks.

Ian Huckabee September 12, 2011 at 8:58 am

Remember, if selected, Facebook will send notifications when something is posted on someone’s wall. They probably got the notification that you posted it, not that you deleted it.

SK September 13, 2011 at 6:24 am

Right. Then it should not send the ‘comment’ in the notification by email. The email should simply say that somebody has ‘posted a comment’ on your wall and not the ‘comment’ itself in the email. This is an area where facebook should look into.

d November 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I found this page looking for a different answer and I wonder if someone can help me. I want to be able to selectively hide some friends from other friends. So normally any friends can see my complete friends list. I have figured out how to hide the complete list from everyone or from select people, but I have not figured out how to hide particular friends from other friends. For example, lets say I add a girl and my watchful girlfriends questions who she is and why i added her. I don’t want to hide my whole friends list from my girlfriend because then she will think I’m hiding something. What I want is to be able to designate certain people to be in a ‘hidden’ list such that none of my regular friends can see I am friends with these people, but my regular friends can still see who my other regular friends are. I know it is a little complicated but hopefully this is a good enough explanation. Basically my girlfriends watches my facebook like a hawk. I don’t want to hide everything or else she questions me, but I want to hide things selectively. I want her to see my regular list of about 220 friends, but not see a seperate ‘hidden’ list of a dozen or so girls I know she doesn’t want me being friends with on facebook. By the way, this isn’t because I am fooling around on her, she is just paranoid and I have gotten tired of explaining who every girl is that adds me or I add on facebook. Some of them aren’t as classy as her and if they have racy pictures that they are stupid enough to share publicly, she checks my friends list, see who I have added who is new, and then searches their pictures. She then asks me why I added slutty girl on facebook. Other people must have this problem. I cannot find any way to do this on facebook.
Please help.

diego November 23, 2011 at 11:27 pm

En Facebook falta la opción de OCULTAR A LOS AMIGOS DE MIS AMIGOS, mis notificaciones de Estado.

Si yo quiero compartir algo con un amigo, pero no quiero que sus amigos lo vean, cómo lo hago?

Ian Huckabee November 24, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Cuando usted realiza una actualización de estado, haga clic en el público o Amigos del menú desplegable. Seleccione Personalizado. En la lista desplegable elegir a determinadas personas y llenar en su nombre. Espero que esto ayude.

Ioana c March 26, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hi please help me – can i hide just one friend from my list of friends, just to not appear again in my list but we still to be friends ?thx

Laurie McBride November 8, 2012 at 1:21 am

The only website that helped. Thank you. It is late at nite and with this long election and the brutal posts on my news feed, I was not going to sleep until I cleaned house on face book. you helped!